A clogged toilet is a huge inconvenience, and it just seems to happen at the worst moments. To avoid embarrassing overflows and wastewater spills around your bathroom floor, you need to spring into action. Yes, unblocking a toilet is never fun, but it’s better than dealing with a messy floor. Here’s how you can unclog a toilet and prevent a standstill in your household.
Clear the Toilet Clog With a Plunger
A toilet plunger is the go-to option for most homeowners whenever they encounter a clogged toilet. It can quickly solve 9 out of 10 blockages, and it’s affordable and simple to use. Follow these steps:
- Wear some gloves.
- If the toilet isn’t overflowing or about to overflow, add water inside the bowl until it’s half full.
- Lower the plunger into the toilet bowl and position its cup around the outside of the bowl hole.
- Gently push the plunger down to get a good seal.
- Now pump the plunger down and up vigorously around six times while still sustaining the seal.
This pressure will loosen any obstruction and allow water to flow down the drain. If it partially unclogs it, repeat the process until the clog loosens.
Try the Vinegar and Baking Soda Method
If you don't have a plunger at hand, you can always try a homemade unclogging solution before you call a professional plumber. A mixture of vinegar and baking soda isn’t only effective in cleaning blocked sink and shower drains, but it’s also an excellent natural solution for unblocking toilets. Here’s what to do:
- Take one cup of baking soda and 2 cups of vinegar and slowly pour them into the toilet bowl.
- Let the mixture fizz and work the clog for half an hour.
- The process will create a chemical reaction that dissolves the clog.
- You can also follow up with hot soapy water to lubricate the drain and loosen the build-up.
- If the clog persists after several attempts, move on to a different technique.
- Note that this method doesn’t work on hard objects blocking the drain, such as toys.
Use a Plumbing Snake
A toilet snake, also called an auger, is a flexible wire cable designed to fit into the bowl hole, snake through the p-shaped curves, and clear obstructions in the drain. Make sure you use a toilet-specific drain snake to avoid damaging the porcelain. Follow these steps:
- Slowly insert the end of the cable into the toilet hole while moving it from side to side until you feel an obstruction.
- Twist and push the snake around to break up the clog. Do this until you feel the drain is free.
- Now flush the toilet to see whether the water will drain normally.
- Note that you should never use a cloth hanger as an alternative, as it will scratch the bowl surface.
Call a Qualified Sarasota Plumber If the Problem Persists
Toilet blockages don't have to be a nightmare. With the above methods, you can take care of the business in just a few minutes and carry on with your day. But if it’s a stubborn clog that won’t go away, or there's water backing up, you’ll need to contact a licensed Sarasota and Bradenton, FL plumber. Just remember to watch what the plumber does, and you may learn a few helpful tricks.
Veteran Air & Plumbing is a distinguished company that can help you resolve toilet clogs and take care of other minor and major plumbing issues around your home. Whenever you encounter a plumbing problem, don’t hesitate to give us a call!
Share this post
- Tags: Ask a plumber, Best plumber near me, Bradenton Plumber, Clear obstructions in the drain, Clogged Toilet, Experienced Plumber, experienced Sarasota plumber, How to unclog a toilet, Lakewood Ranch Plumber, Licensed Plumber, Licensed plumber Bradenton, Licensed Plumber Lakewood Ranch, Licensed plumber Sarasota, Licensed plumbers near me, local Sarasota plumber, Natural solution for unblocking a toilet, Objects blocking the drain, Plumber in Bradenton, Plumber in Lakewood Ranch, Plumber in Sarasota, Plumber in Venice, plumber near me, plumbing emergencies, plumbing issues, Plumbing problems, plumbing services, Professional Plumber in Sarasota, Sarasota Plumbing, Siesta Key Plumber, Siesta Key Plumbing, Talk to a professional plumber, Toilet plunger, Unblocking a toilet, Unclog a toilet, Veteran Plumbing